The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/modern-web-forum-software-has-a-lot-of-great-29455035.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  8/3/2011  5:11 PM
Author:  MacNugget Number:  85714 of 89068

Modern web forum software has a lot of great features that will be appreciated. - Like email notification of replies to threads I've posted in. That makes for a much more active forum, which is part of the real goal of engagement isn't it?

I, for one, would probably leave the Fool entirely if they ever embraced the more traditional web board structure. For all of its warts, I greatly favor the way the Fool message boards function as compared to the various phpBB/vBulletin/UBB/et al clones.

I believe that the interface and style of display used here at the Fool really lends itself to a higher calibre of discussion content. Whatever you may feel about the current corpus of user posts, I'm confident that quality and depth would suffer greatly if they tried to move to one of those "modern" systems you're suggesting.

The Fool's post-centric focus is far superior to the more familiar thread-centric display that we see in other forum software and it would be a real tragedy if the Fool switched to that style.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us