The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-another-who-is-not-in-favor-of-change-just-for-29455469.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  8/3/2011  8:44 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  85718 of 88781

I'm another who is not in favor of change just for change's sake. And I appreciate that the boards on TMF are different from everyone else - different in a good way if you ask me.

But it seems to me as a non-programmer, that the boards (and any boards for that matter) are just a big database issue. The data is the message itself and all of it's various identifying info - poster, date posted, board, thread, etc.

Then there's the front end - how the data is presented. If the data are housed in a good database, I would think it wouldn't be that tough to have different front-ends, different user experiences, depending on the browser and device. Heck, you could probably even give the users some choice and display the boards in something resembling one of those crappy, one-size-fits-all board formats newbies keep thinking are actually good.

That begs the question, then. Are the TMF boards housed in a good database format? My guess is that they are not, hence the issues with things like smart phone apps.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us