The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-it-seems-to-me-as-a-non-programmer-that-the-29455626.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  8/3/2011  10:24 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  85720 of 88953

But it seems to me as a non-programmer, that the boards (and any boards for that matter) are just a big database issue. The data is the message itself and all of it's various identifying info - poster, date posted, board, thread, etc.

I am a database consultant by profession, and I agree that it is largely a database issue. (Full disclosure: to us database types, everything is a database issue.) However that is not saying it is easy. In fact one of my key red flags is anything described as just anything. 8-)

The threading issue alone is crazy. There have been mentions recently of threads that are hundreds of thousands of messages long. The mind boggles. Handling that and still performing is unlikely to be the result of just database normalization. (Actually it sounds like an interesting problem to work on!)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us