The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/peter-i-was-not-offended-at-all-i-find-the-29456471.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool Phone App Date:  8/4/2011  11:24 AM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  85723 of 89148

Peter,

I was not offended at all. I find the subject fascinating, why shouldn't you? 8-)

In fact one of my key red flags is anything described as just anything. 8-)

I didn't mean to imply that it was. Perhaps the use of the word "just" is creating problems in communication. Maybe it would be better to say that the boards are "one big, honking, database issue" rather than "just" a database issue.

There was no problem in communication, I understood what you meant completely. What I was trying to say was that in my experience the word "just" so often coincides with understating or putting aside a difficulty (and I do not exclude my own use of the word!) that I always try to give it a second look.

The data items and relationships are relatively straightforward, and there will be several logically valid and complete ways of defining them. The subtleties involve choosing among the logically equivalent alternatives and choosing a physical implementation that satisfies the performance requirements. My gut feel is that handling threads is the most challenging performance issue, but that's an educated guess without doing the real analysis, and even if I am right I suspect there are other performance issues besides.

RH in CT
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us