The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Moving Out of the Fast Lane

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/life-she-is-full-of-compromises-29461454.aspx

Subject:  Life, she is full of compromises Date:  8/6/2011  10:16 AM
Author:  RoadScholar5 Number:  5762 of 5806

I am currently employed by the federal govt after 20 years in the private sector.

I am trying to make some long range decisions, since like you all here, I would like to experience another life that operates more in accordance with my own terms.

I like my job, but time marches on and we march with it. Sorry to get off on a philosophical tangent.

I am considering a second career in the healing arts (therapy, body work) at some point and that will mean a big downturn in income and some expenses related to re-training.

I can do some of the re-training while still in my current job.

Long story short - if I wait 8 more years to retire from the feds, I will be eligible to continue healthcare in retirement, at the same price, with the same benefits I received as a full time employee.

I have a good sized nest egg for someone in my position - but understand the entire egg could be wiped out by any serious illness - hence my concern over keeping a good healthcare plan in place. I think our current plan has a $4M cap.

Comments?

Thanks, RS
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us