The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-should-a-25-year-old-self-empoyed-invest-29462282.aspx

Subject:  How Should a 25 Year Old Self Empoyed Invest? Date:  8/6/2011  6:29 PM
Author:  TheWebGuy Number:  69352 of 74759

Hey Fools ;)

I am in my mid 20's and self employeed. I would like to start investing primarily for later in life.

I'm not interested in stock watching, day trading, etc (I don't have time for that)...I just want to regularly invest for "down the road."

I opened a zecco account in college and have some money in stocks; however, everything I invest I intend to keep in there for a while so I would like your opinion on retirement type funds.

I'll give you a better idea about me so you can help out...

This year I should make anywhere between $40k-$150k most likely (I'm an entrepreneur so you never know haha)...

It seems like a Roth IRA may be a good option b/c I'm young but is there a better option (I hear there are 401ks for the self employeed)...or is a traditional better?

I basically just want a balanced investing strategy that I don't have to worry about till later.

And let's say I make more near the $60k-$100k mark which is more expected...does this change anything (or if I happen to make $100K+)?

Thanks a lot "fools" I really appreciate it!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us