The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Understanding Your Credit Report

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-collections-abroad-but-not-in-the-us-29462994.aspx

Subject:  In collections abroad but not in the U.S. Date:  8/7/2011  10:33 AM
Author:  FoolFromCuse Number:  665 of 665

I'm a legal permanent resident in the U.S. I came here from Europe and I have unpaid student loan debt in my home country.
I've received collection notices from them, and most recently from a collection company here in the U.S.
This debt, however, does not show on my credit report here in the U.S. My credit score is 855 and I have no negative information there.
My husband and I are barely scraping by (have been for the past couple of years after buying our first home); trying to keep up with our mortgage and his ginormous student loans. I am determined not to default on any of our loans in the U.S. and therefore, I have decided not to pay back my loan in my home country.
So my question is, can the collection agency garnish my wages etc. to pay for debt in another country? And can they report my debt to the 3 credit bureaus here in the U.S?
If anyone knows of a better suited topic/board to post this message under, please advice.
Thank you.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us