The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-the-early-1990s-the-democrats-controlled-29475116.aspx

Subject:  Re: can't afford health care? ditch cable! Date:  8/12/2011  10:01 AM
Author:  Jeanwa Number:  36066 of 59796

In the early 1990s the Democrats controlled Washington State government, as they do now. Liberals adopted a Massachusetts type health care law mandating "health insurance for everyone," but failed miserably to make it work.

One part prohibited health insurance conmpanies from excluding people because of pre existing conditions. Of course, that meant that people waited until they were already sick and applied for health insurance coverage then ---hospitals and doctors offices were busy signing people up for coverage.

It was NOT mandatory!

I don't know that people waited to sign up. I do know that many people with pre-existing conditions that had been refused insurance did sign up.

A friend of mine with no insurance had cancer at the time. She couldn't pay for treatment. She did sign up for insurance when the pre-existing condition rule was passed. It was really too late, but it covered her last few months.

I'm pretty sure the pre-existing condition provisions only were in effect from 1993-1995

I really wish you would quit saying it was mandatory.

Jean
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us