The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-original-4-rule-was-based-on-something-called-29514818.aspx

Subject:  Re: 4% Rule -- Common Misconceptions Date:  8/31/2011  11:10 PM
Author:  StockGoddess Number:  69486 of 89883

The original 4% rule was based on something called the Trinity Study (google it) which back-tested the market for 50 years and figured that was the average you could depend on with a good mix of stocks and bonds. They showed your chances of outliving your portfolio - even at 4% it wasn't 100%, and it depended on your mix. You could even do 7% and have a 50% chance of success with certain mixes.

Then, if you want to get depressed google the "Life of Riley" index, which says if you want a SAFE return (insured) you're only looking at 2% (inflation adjusted T-bills and bonds).

I give up, I save like crazy, max out my 401Ks and just hope for the best. Might buy a rental or two to hedge my bets, and the occasional lottery ticket so I can dream...I know i do more than most, and do all I can, and that's all I can do. Most folks I know don't even fully retire anymore, they go half-time, to keep insurance. That might be the best we can hope for.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us