The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-everyone-it-seems-as-if-cooler-heads-29522388.aspx

Subject:  Re: Beginner wants to invest beyond ROTH IRA. He Date:  9/5/2011  1:50 AM
Author:  es3190 Number:  69515 of 87438

Thanks everyone! It seems as if cooler heads prevailed. I will be focusing on paying down my debt before investing beyond the ROTH IRA (which I am going to continue maxing out if it kills me.)

I didn't know one could have a Roth and a traditional IRA simultaneously. Pardon my naivete.

Once my loans are paid off, or at least the 6.8%, and I decide I want to invest more, is a Traditional IRA what I should be looking at?

My rudimentary understanding now tells me that my ROTH is maxed, so that basket is full. My only choice from here is to invest in something (like an index fund) without any sort of tax sheltered container or to invest within a traditional IRA. The obvious benefit being my income tax deduction on the contributions.

Is this logical or has my train of thought taken a little detour?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us