The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/3k-in-credit-card-debt-because-of-moving-29522565.aspx

Subject:  Re: investing for retirement!! Date:  9/5/2011  9:42 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  69523 of 75381

3k in credit card debt because of moving expenses. TV, coach, bed and so on. Not living with parents makes you realize how much things cost. Who knew a tiny bottle of Montreal steak spice cost almost 4 dollars!!!

Well, I was okay with your 'credit card debt' being 'moving expenses' until you mentioned the Montreal steak spice.....That's not a 'moving expense' - it's an ongoing grocery expense.

I would suggest that you start tracking your spending to ensure that you are living within your means, and that the credit card debt was truly because of one-time moving expenses, and not from ongoing expenses.

Should i trim down my contribution to only the match and pay off some debt quicker.

Should i only do the match and then fully fund my Roth IRA.

First, I would suggest cutting your TSP contributions to the amount required to get the full match. Apply the additional money you will get in your check directly to the credit card debt every 2 weeks.

Once you get your credit card debt paid off, and you are able to consistently pay your credit cards off on a monthly basis, I would suggest splitting your extra cash flow between a Roth and building an emergency fund.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us