The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltbutting-ingt-presumably-someone-with-cancer-29524114.aspx

Subject:  Re: Beginner wants to invest beyond ROTH IRA. He Date:  9/6/2011  11:04 AM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  69549 of 76094

<butting in>

Presumably, someone with cancer won't be working full-time (if at all)

. . . . .

They didn't need time off to go to chemo or radiation therapy? Were they getting it on nights and weekends?

I had cancer and I worked full-time. I got to work early and left when I needed to go to the hospital.

Cancer and chemo and radiation affect different people in different ways. It is not possible to generalize about them. Some people go through everything and emerge feeling weak, but otherwise all right. Others are down flat from the start.

Not all health insurance works the same, either. The most expensive year I had was in 2001. It included chemo, surgery, radiation, MRIs, biopsies, more bloodwork than I want to think about (today we're only taking 7 vials of blood!)and lots of pharmaceuticals. My out-of-pocket expenses were $300.00. And that included co=pays and parking.

I believe that people should have health insurance. It can be a lifesaver, because someone with health insurance is more likely to go to a doctor when symptoms crop up, and it's possible to treat a disease at an earlier stage.

Nancy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us