The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/back-in-the-60s-when-my-father-retired-they-29525161.aspx

Subject:  Re: No Inheritance for BabyBoomers' Children Date:  9/6/2011  5:52 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  69555 of 76079

Back in the 60's, when my father retired, they moved to Florida. Everytime I visited them, they had purchased something new, i.e., built a new Florida room, enclosed the garage, new 52" TV, new 26" TV, new truck, new car, new boat. My friends asked me if I did not worry about their spending so much money. My response: They raised me well (LBYM), educated me, changed my diapers, put up with my temper tantrums, etc. They should spend their money any way they wish. It's their money, and all power to them.

Gosh, my parents had a ball, traveling, having guests, etc.

Now, I am soooooo glad they had time to splurge. They did leave me a little, including the house, which was a lot more than I ever dreamed of. They did have $250K in cash, but that was used to care for my mother the last 3 years of her life, here in my home, with full-time help, including me at nights. Thank God, we had the money for Mother to live her last days in comfort.

My parents, who were adults during the Great Depression, deserved all the fun they had after Daddy's retirement.

Donna
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us