The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: IRA Mistake Date:  9/12/2011  3:21 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  24738 of 26128

According to IRS Publication 17, Your Income Tax (available on the web site), p 121, your nonworking spouse is eligible to contribute up to $5000/yr or $6000 if over age 50, up to the maximum amount of your earned income in any tax year to her spousal IRA.

Your participation in a 401K plan does not limit her eligibility. It merely reduces the income limit above which the contribution is no longer tax deductible.

So you have a non-deductible contribution to your IRA. You need to keep track of your non-deductible basis by filing Form 8606 with your income tax each year, but otherwise, this is a normal traditional IRA account. You may mix deductible and non-deductible contributions in the same account and you can even rollover other qualified accounts or 401Ks into the same account.

You may transfer your IRA account tax-free to any other custodian you choose. Usually that would be a discount broker or a mutual fund company, but you have your choice of which one you use. If you do a direct transfer, there are no tax implications. To do that, contact the firm you want to receive the account and ask their advice. Usually there are a few forms to fill out and they do the rest.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us