The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: IRA Mistake Date:  9/13/2011  2:26 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  24740 of 26142

In order to maintain the tax free status of the transfer, it must be transferred to another IRA account. But that account can be at a discount broker allowing you to buy and sell stocks or mutual funds at will.

If the funds are transferred to a regular account, first they will take withholding, and you will pay income taxes on your gains and pay a 10% penalty. That is the expensive way. Keep it in an IRA.

Transfer to a regular account counts as a distribution. Partial distributions will be credited with a portion of the non-deductible contribution. A full distribution will be credits with all of it. But you will still pay a 10% penalty on the distribution.

If the account investments are worth less than your contribution, there may be a way to cancel the original contribution. For information on that aspect ask on the Tax Strategies board. They are the experts.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us