The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-always-assumed-id-need-more-in-retirement-29540133.aspx

Subject:  Re: You need 135% of your salary in retirement? Date:  9/14/2011  9:15 AM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  69581 of 75626

I always assumed I'd need more in retirement because I wanted to travel, get away in the winter, etc. Also, I lived 5 minutes from my office, dressed business casual most of the time, and went home for lunch, so my expenses weren't going to drop just because I quit working.

You will not that the article said you would need 135% of your salary, not your expenses in retirement. Your expenses may have gone up but I hope it was less than your final salary.

I'm saving around 30% of my income. Once the kids are out of school, the mortgage paid off and the horse gone, I could be saving 50% of my income. Therefore, I would be living on less than 50% of my income. Unless I want to blow a lot of money, I don't how I would be anywhere near needing 135% of my income in retirement.

PSU
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us