The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-are-living-comfortably-on-about-23-of-what-i-29544465.aspx

Subject:  Re: You need 135% of your salary in retirement? Date:  9/15/2011  9:16 PM
Author:  TerryMcK Number:  69591 of 75340

We are living comfortably on about 2/3 of what I was earning before retirement. That includes a retirement plus SS; and not touching investments yet.

We don't travl extensively, but we do take about 2 vacations a year (e.g. cruise, etc.), we eat out about 75% of the time, and buy what we want. We also spend a fair amount of time doing volunteer work.

I don't know about paying $1200 for health insurance, unless you have not reached Medicare age yet. My most expensive insurance was between retirement (62) and going on Medicare (65). Once on Medicare (icluding a supplemental medical plan and a separate drug plan), my medical expenses are lower than even when I was working and on a group plan.

Another factor here is what was the salary before retirement. If somebody was making $50K, then maybe they will need more after they retire, to cover medical, etc. If somebody was making $200K, I don't think they will need $270K in retirement.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us