The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-rather-skipped-calculators-like-29556199.aspx

Subject:  Re: Estimating Retirement Incomes, Pt. 1 Date:  9/21/2011  6:09 PM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  69636 of 75777

I would rather skipped calculators like Vanguard's and just look at my family tree. Since many live into their 90s and some into their 100s, I'm not planning on exhausting my assets in my 80s. If I lose the genetic lottery, my descendents will get a going away gift.

After many tries I eventually settled on choosing the longest lived male or female relative in my family (92 year old Grandfather), and the same for DW (102 year old Grandmother). The odds of both of us exceeding those ages is statistically beyond the actuarial charts I've used.

A problem with a younger wife (DW is 8 years younger) is if she dies earlier than my maximum age my financial plans don't change. But if I die younger she needs to make some adjustments (cut back 7-10% off of very liberal expenses depending on how early).

Having this week agreed to a one year extension on my contract to the end of 2012 (age 66+) this is becoming more "real" to me.

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us