The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/since-i-was-widowed-at-age-50-i-never-thought-29563514.aspx

Subject:  Re: You need 135% of your salary in retirement? Date:  9/25/2011  3:18 PM
Author:  Follydolly Number:  69640 of 76112

Since I was widowed at age 50, I never thought about how much I would need, but only how much would I have. I am lucky to have SS, husband's pension (1/2) and 401K (now my IRA) and taxable investments.

I also opened up my own business and 25yrs later am almost totally retired except for a few clients and selling some photos.

I would be quite comfortable. But here is the thing...and it can happen to any of you who have children. I know of so many retirees who have "children" that had to move back home because they lost their jobs, or at least need financial help. Dolling out financial help to children and grandchildren can be a drain on your retirement funds. This was not something I originally included in my retirement expenses!

Lucky for them I am not one to go galavanting around the world!

Birgit
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us