The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents of Gifted/Talented Kids

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-told-by-my-neighbor-that-quotthey-29564273.aspx

Subject:  Re: Kindie to first grade Date:  9/26/2011  7:33 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  1931 of 1947

I have been told by my neighbor that "they NEVER move (up) kids here."

I hear that often, when people find out how old the boys are relative to their grade. I'm surprised at how often "never" happens.

MA is tough, based on my sister's admittedly very dated experience with my nephew. They wound up putting both their kids into a very prestigious private school at a greatly reduced cost. Don't assume you can not afford it. These schools have money, and are looking for highly qualified scholarship candidates.

One thing that worked well for Youngest in 2nd grade was being allowed to go to the computer for educational programs when he finished his work early. Sometimes she would pre-test him, and excuse him even from the instructional period. That was after already being accelerated a grade, so that is no magic bullet. If there is not a classroom computer, perhaps you could provide a laptop for him?

Good luck. It's a noble fight.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us