The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parenting Teens and Young Adults

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-best-resource-is-across-the-country-but-ill-29568123.aspx

Subject:  Re: Studying abroad - what do they need? Date:  9/27/2011  4:30 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  2091 of 2196

My best resource is across the country but I'll try to go by memory. I'd go with a backpack, not a suitcase. I did give him local currency for the Christmas before he went. He did go with a prepaid cell.

He went to Auckland for a semester and Prague for a summer program. Make sure she is very aware of the possibility of pickpockets in Italy especially.

She's not going to be taking a lot of stuff with her, but I'm sure there must be some essentials that would be good for her to have.

hmm, there are things my son didn't need to think about that might be different brandwise in other countries...

Credit card without international transaction fees - Capital One is the easy one but check carefully.

If there are bills she is responsible for that may come due while she's away, discuss the possibility of you dealing with them.

And I know I am off the gift topic but remind her to be aware of fall registration dates which may happen while she is away.

I think I will be seeing you before she goes - remind me to give you the contact info for my daughter who will still be in the UK.

I'm betting that money in general may be the best gift.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us