The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parenting Teens and Young Adults

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-so-far-for-all-the-suggestions-i-had-29568387.aspx

Subject:  Re: Studying abroad - what do they need? Date:  9/27/2011  6:39 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  2093 of 2194

Thanks so far for all the suggestions. I had started to look into a credit card without exchange fees, but hadn't found anything yet. Sounds like I should be looking at the Cap One card for her.

She doesn't have an ATM card, but that's probably one more thing she should have.

I will ask her if she prefers the backpack to a rolling carry-on. She does have her school backpack that holds her laptop plus a few other things, but I don't know if that is sufficient.

She goes to Bentley University which has what seems to be a very organized program, so they are helping with quite a lot. She's still filling out forms and such, but it is definitely well-organized.

I don't know about when she has to sign up for fall classes, but I'd bet it is while she is gone, so I will remind her to check on that, but she's pretty anal about being organized. She's already delegated the room selection for next year to one of her roommates since their selection will be in the middle of the night for her.

She is taking Italian now. The school requires at least one semester of the appropriate language prior to the study abroad, and I was thinking it couldn't hurt to have the Rosetta Stone software.

I will have to remind her about the pickpockets and such. That will be very different for her, but I'm confident in her abilities to manage.

Thanks, and keep those suggestions coming.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us