The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: roth question Date:  10/9/2011  10:32 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  69650 of 88504

If taxes are paid, the income claimed on a 1040 form can potentially be contributed to an IRA, traditional or roth.

The criteria is: '
is the income taxable?'

I don't think this is correct. Income from interest, dividends, and capital gains is certainly taxable, but, is not earned income that can be contributed to an IRA.
I don't know about royalty income, but, I suspect it is not earned income in most cases.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us