The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents of Autistic Children

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/is-he-the-child-that-was-recently-in-the-news-for-29610905.aspx

Subject:  Re: Thoughts in a church hallway Date:  10/18/2011  11:06 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  407 of 413

Is he the child that was recently in the news for being autistic and getting his Eagle? Congratulations to both of you on a very well-deserved and earned accomplishment.

My DS has ADHD, a significant learning disability, and had a Scout Master who only believed that typical kids deserved to be Eagle. He put many obstacles in the way, but DS worked through them, and made it.

I have another friend whose son is a few years younger than mine and has Asperger's. The same Scout Master actively attempted to block him earning his Eagle even though he went above and beyond anything anyone had ever done or that was required. That child had to appeal all the way to Council, but he made it.

For those of us who have traveled a different path with our sons to reach this pinnacle, it is an amazing journey with a tremendous feeling of accomplishment at the end.

You both deserve to be very proud of this accomplishment.

Congratulations.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us