The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retired-parent-looking-to-invest-29615675.aspx

Subject:  Retired Parent Looking to Invest Date:  10/20/2011  10:14 AM
Author:  1FoolThing Number:  280 of 294

My father is retired, 75 years old and in good health. He had some money that he came into that he wanted to invest (around $25000), but he's not much of an investor. He had been hoping to put that money in a policy that he had with his insurance company, but the agent came and was trying to talk him into buying either a deferred or an immediate annuity. He doesn't know what to do and I'm not sure that an annuity would be the best course for him.

He gets by alright on his social security, but would like some more income to supplement this. He has no debts, so there is no need to pay anything off. I'm wondering what advice anyone can give about where he should place his money. He's never done a good job about getting his assets in order, but he says that he has upwards of $100,000 available to invest. Outside of a good alternative that is simple enough for him to follow, I think he'll end up going with whatever the insurance agent recommends for him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us