The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/new-theme-29636728.aspx

Subject:  New Theme... Date:  10/29/2011  3:58 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  17410 of 19483

We have a group that meets every Friday evening in the bar of our neighborhood Bistro. We drink and eat dinner in the bar. Sometimes there are a dozen or more of us, while other times only 4. Last night, there were 4 couples. At 60/61, my wife and I are the youngest, with the others above 65 but below 70. Of all the folks there, I'm the only one with a really significant health problem. I've got heart failure, and I've been on and off the transplant list a few times over the past year. Currently, I'm reasonably stable, although significantly impaired. Well, the other three couples were all talking about how they need to work harder spending their money by taking trips and such. Their main point being that you never know when your exiration date is coming up. They all had stories about friends with terminal cancer and the like. My wife and I stayed quiet, since we already know what it's like to see the expiration date start coming into focus. Bottom line, though, is that fact that so many of our friends are now focusing on consuming what they have saved over their working lives, as opposed to saving for the future.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us