The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotwith-more-than-2500-fridges-received-by-the-29652250.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oldest Fridge Contest Date:  11/6/2011  3:03 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  37865 of 59653

"With more than 2,500 fridges received by the nonprofit during the contest, the winner — a 1937 General Electric — was found humming away after seven decades in the basement of a Coquille, Oregon home, near the coast in the southern part of the state.

What Greer didn’t realize is that fridges built before 1993 can waste up to $200 a year in energy costs, compared to today’s more energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR® models, which average only $40 a year to operate. "

---

Well, of course, a decent new refrigerator costs $800 to $2000 depending upon what you get, and of course, the 'bite' from having to meet the latest 'energy efficient' standards. It won't last 10 years likely without a $400 repair, too!

At $100 extra a year in 'wasted electricity', in OREGON, it likely went to keeping the moisture out of the basement. If that refrigerator were replaced with a modern one, using less power and generating less heat, and likely taking less WATER out of the air in the process....

you'd need to buy a dehumidifier for $400 and pay $65 bucks a month to run it!

Worse, a typical 1930s refrig in good shape is worth a FEW HUNDRED dollars. Why would you 'give it up' unless they replaced it with a new one - which likely would crap out in less than 10 years? So you'd spend $1000 to buy something that would not last 10 year, or spend $100 a year for a new one?

http://www.auctionwally.com/appraisals/whats-it-worth-apprai...

Retail price of depression era refig....$300 plus....

You are better off spending $140 a year on extra electricity, keeping the money in the bank, and waiting until it dies to replace it!

No wonder the country has such a budget problem!

My 20 year old frig still works.....I checked it...it uses $15 bucks of juice a month. I could upgrade and save $6/month with a new one that costs over $1200 to buy and will crap out in 10 years. or less. The new ones are junque.

t
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us