The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Liberal Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-my-mind-the-status-quo-is-monied-interests-29653560.aspx

Subject:  Re: Who are the 1%? Date:  11/7/2011  12:26 PM
Author:  benjd25 Number:  17092 of 17153

In my mind, the status quo is monied interests working dilligently to return this country to the stone ages, hence any effort to stymie that effort is change (and for the good).

I don't agree that trying to stop negative change is change. *shrug*

Second, what about the Affordable Care Act (nee Obamacare - which I for one see as a definite step int he right direction and for the BENEFIT of the 52 million UNINSURED in this country); Dodd Frank (not nearly far enough, but better than what the Republican are proposing - NOTHING); the end of DADT, the end of the Iraq war; the end of the Afghanistan war; the end of Qaddafi (Kadafi, Qadafi - or how you spell it)

Obamacare maintains insurance company (1%) profits. I do grant that it does help a little, but it is basically the Republican alternative to Hillary's health care proposal from the 90s.

Labeling the launch of another undeclared war of choice 'the end of Qaddafi' is Orwellian. Granted, it was a much smaller war. But it maintained the status quo of executive power beyond what he should have.

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.
As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent." - Obama before he became President

The status quo of excessive executive branch power is still being maintained.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us