The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/personally-i-think-its-a-scandal-that-the-29653627.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oldest Fridge Contest Date:  11/7/2011  12:50 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  37898 of 62032

Personally I think it's a scandal that the government would be seeking to destroy our heritage of vintage appliances.
The same frivolous thing was done during WWII to destroy the history of early American automobiles as part of scrap drives.

Didin't we need the metal for ship building? We lost access (or at least easy access) to some ores in the far corners of the world during the war, plus I'm guessing that recycling scrap metal was faster.

These are great artifacts of our culture that people should be encouraged to preserve along with typewriters, early computers and other such stuff

Aren't you one of those who decries the loss of freedom entailed by historic district designations that save our architectural heritage?

=alstro, also loves old stuff, particularly turn-of-the-centry commercial architecture (eg city apartment bldgs, office bldgs & warehouses built in the 1880s-1930s), mid-century (40s & 50s) appliances and other household items...particularly anything art-decoish or moderne
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us