The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-oldest-place-i-lived-in-was-on-congress-street-29653672.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oldest Fridge Contest Date:  11/7/2011  1:06 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  37900 of 60161

The oldest place I lived in was on Congress Street in Troy NY. It was a 3 story building....commercial drug store on the first floor, and two 4 bedroom apartments above it......

I spent one summer there...with a room mate.. He had 3 other room mates during the school year.

It was built 1860s. It had a tin ceiling in the living room. Big wood doors.

Gas pipes on the walls when gas lighting was there....and also had electric conduit on the wall...probably the second generation lights....first generation was probably just knobs...but who knows?

Steam heat from boiler in basement but we didn't need any heat during the summer. I went back to living in 1930s dorms. LOts of buldings on campus 1910 vintage.

Old is OK...is cheap.

Most of Troy burned down a few times....so oldest buildings are ones made of stone and brick.......

Yes, just about everything made of metal went into the scrap pot before WW2..and during the war..lots of radio stuff, panels, chassis, old pre war TV sets....and the gov't bought or took receivers and transmitters.(never gave them back)..... lots of trinkets went into the scrap - toys of all kinds....dime banks....mechanical banks....toys made of metal.....

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us