The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Reading Financial Statements

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-rs-youre-welcome-that-wikipedia-article-was-29660889.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Question on Amortization Date:  11/10/2011  1:19 PM
Author:  TMFMoosie Number:  3849 of 3916

Hi RS,

You're welcome. That wikipedia article was the top google hit for "goodwill amortization". Not saying you shouldn't have asked, just that there's a ton of good info out there. You might try investopedia.com, too, for definition of terms, and explanations.

But if you really want to sharpen up your (ten year old?) finance chops, put a couple of books on your Christmas list :)

Valuation -- Koller, et. al.

Investment Valuation -- Aswath Damodaran

The Koller book is the McKinsey Consulting classic, now in at least the fourth revision (I'm using the 4th).

If you're the curious type, these two books are interesting to use in tandem. They take very different approaches to the same topic. Both are "correct". I learned a LOT by trying to reconcile seeming contradictions between the two.

Even though both do both, Koller is a higher level, starting at 30,000 feet, and drilling down. Damodaran is the opposite.

I know, you just asked a simple question, and didn't plan to make it a career :) I'll leave you alone now.

Cheers,
-joe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us