The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: social security question Date:  11/13/2011  10:40 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  69784 of 88033

You should call Social Security and ask. They are very good at answering such questions.

Others know better than I, but I think the answer is this--

1. If you are over 62 and qualify for Social Security payments, you can begin taking those payments based either on your own record, your spouses record, or a previous spouses record if you were married more than 10 yrs. You get only one check, but you can pick the record that nets you the largest check.

2. Yes, the age at which you take your payments determines the reduction of the payments on your own record too. (But some say there are ways to repay the payments, cancel the first plan and then begin again at a later age with better payments.)

3. If you are currently working and have earned income, it will further reduce the SS payments you receive above fairly modest amounts.

SS can probably tell you how much you would receive under each record and how the payment would change if you delay taking payments to future years.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us