The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Vacation Rental Management

Subject:  The Difficulties in Buying Rural Properties Date:  11/18/2011  10:37 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  61 of 95

I just posted on the Buying and Selling a Home board our most recent glitch in buying our VR: Rather than rehash it, I'll let you read it there. Here I would like to discuss the seemingly endless number of road blocks that crop up when trying to buy a rural waterfront vacation property.

Over the years I have encountered the following in our search for a VR:

1. Lack of building code or enforcement at time of construction, resulting in raised structures that are attached to the ground only by the waste line for plumbing. Structure was built in the 1980's in WV, which has improved considerably since then, but left this property subject to the possibility of floating away in a flood.

2. Flood insurance costs that escalated 2,657%, through a combination of a change in the flood plain maps and poorly filed building documents for this home which did need to be built to code in the 1980's in WV, but the documents could not be found. The new flood map now placed the living room 3' below flood plain, but the shed caused FEMA to consider first level to be ground level. It is interesting to note that this property has remained dry during multiple devastating floods that have impacted the area, but FEMA works to a formula, not history. In order to get a decent flood insurance price, the sellers finally had to destroy the built in shed on the lower level of the structure, which was raised on pillars. We questioned the ability to protect the line bringing the well water up to the house from freezing, now that it was encased only in a 4" PVC pipe. The house is still on the market, but we are no longer interested in any WV property, due to the next item. Luck u