The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-noidatall-the-attorney-i-consulted-with-29677888.aspx

Subject:  Re: update & ? re: letter to creditors Date:  11/18/2011  9:36 PM
Author:  NoIDAtAll Number:  303632 of 308881

Thanks, NoIDAtall. The attorney I consulted with recommended Chapter 7 bankruptcy, not 13.

I'm kind of surprised that your attorney recommended that, if all of your debts are unsecured. I asked my attorney what the difference was between filing a Chapter 13 and a Chapter 7. She replied, "With a Chapter 13 you get to keep your stuff."

A friend who owned and operated a restaurant in a leased building had to close the business because it wasn't turning a sufficient profit to pay the bills. He vacated the building a couple of years before the lease expired. The landlord, finding it hard to rent the building to another, pressed for continuance of payments under the lease agreement, which amounted to around $2,000/month. Prior to signing the lease, the landlord had promised, verbally, to lower the very high ceilings in the building to help reduced power bills. The landlord also verbally advised that he would reduce the rent, but instead served him with an eviction notice when he paid the reduced rent the landlord had verbally advised. He filed Chapter 7 on the lease agreement only. I thought it was a shame that the landlord pushed him to filing. Doing so didn't gain the landlord a thing. I certainly wouldn't want to rent from the guy, and apparently few other people want to either.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us