The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / The Wine Cellar

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/assuming-you-mean-that-youre-using-6-cups-in-the-29680663.aspx

Subject:  Re: Knock, Knock - Anybody Here? Need Suggestio Date:  11/21/2011  7:58 AM
Author:  MarkMarcellus Number:  6813 of 6837

Assuming you mean that you're using 6 cups in the recipe, and assuming my math is correct, I would just go for the cheapest 1.5 Liter bottle you can find. Unless the wine is really bad, any differences will get lost in the cooking. To the math:

6 cups equals 1 1/2 quarts. A quart is roughly equal to a liter. Therefore a 1.5 liter bottle will be exactly what you need. I'm not familiar with every choice you listed, but they are all probably fine. The Charles Shaw (AKA "Two Buck Chuck") at Trader Joe's would also work. You should be able to find a 1.5 that's a decent amount less than the two bottle price, though I would avoid Yellow Tail on principle.

And, given that I'm a combination of cheapskate and wine enthusiast (the word "snob" has been used by friends), might I recommend that you take the savings and pay up for a slightly nicer bottle to drink? Anything by Cameron Hughes should be a great value (his business model is similar to Charles Shaw, but the wines are much nicer and slightly more expensive). Or, for whites, a Ste Chapelle riesling from Idaho. They often sell in the $5-$7 range and offer exceptional quality at that price. Bubbles can also be fun for Thanksgiving, and Domaine Saint Vincent (Gruet's budget brand) from New Mexico is another good choice.

Hope this helps and enjoy the meal.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us