The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2011-29758344.aspx

Subject:  2011 Date:  1/3/2012  6:03 PM
Author:  fredinseoul Number:  4952 of 5083

I was up 7.4% this year, but I believe that is mostly due to stock sales, savings and contributions rather than any stock growth.

House prices are excluded, its too variable to count these from year to year. Price on one is up 66% over 9 years. I don't have the price on the other. Even though I didn't count it in the 7% growth above, real estate is probably 60% of my total worth.

This year was stressful, I faced the end of a five year contract and the re-bid on another five year contract. Given the uncertainty, I went to save a load of cash. We won the re-bid, so I have restarted the investing again. Hopefully this is a good year.

My plan continues, I don't have a specific year in mind, but have always had 55 as a goal. That is 12 years away. If I can convince the wife to stop going into debt on houses(tongue in cheek, its still an investment!!), we could possibly make it sooner than 12 years.

Good Luck to all in the Year of the Dragon.

fredinseoul
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us