The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/blacktreechaser-i-have-zero-confidence-in-picking-29783953.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dry Powder or Vwitx? Date:  1/16/2012  4:49 PM
Author:  codger41 Number:  33596 of 35351

Blacktreechaser:

I have zero confidence in picking out individual tax free bonds, and I would only buy into a mutual fund where default risk is minimized due to the extensive holdings. I agree that interest rates are going up at some point, but the Fed has committed to not raising rates for the next year or two, and I am planning to move the money to something else by that time.

I would love to help my kids with Roth IRAs or pay off high interest credit cards, but I have given them money in the past to hold as an emergency fund and that money went for new furniture and a trip to Disney World. My kids are in their 40's and need to learn to fend for themselves.
They will inherit from me and from their mom, but I hope that is 15 or 20 years from now ( I am 70 now).

I live in Alabama, too. Didn't know about ghosts in the Carrolton courthouse window. Are you familiar with events at the Monroe County courthouse every year re "To kill a Mockingbird"? Check it out.

Codger
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us