The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-suspect-the-highly-compensated-issue-is-the-29800216.aspx

Subject:  Re: Secrets of the 0.2% Date:  1/24/2012  12:59 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  69993 of 76421

I suspect the highly compensated issue is the reason. Where that line is drawn depends on a combination of the distribution of employees at different pay levels, and the degree of participation at the varying levels. My 401k was with three different consumer packaged goods companies through a succession of acquisitions. The limit was never more than 16%, but after a few years I was classified as highly compensated and restricted even more. My understanding was that the rank-and-file plant workers - the largest group - mostly put in no more than the 5% or 6% it took to get the maximum match. Was the bank that allowed 50% the kind that had lots of branches and tellers on the payroll? Or perhaps it was an investment bank with a smaller percentage of grunt workers? If my reasoning is correct it would be the second.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us