The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Charitable deduction question Date:  1/31/2012  1:48 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  114800 of 127638

If the trip doesn't happen, why not amend 2011 to remove the deduction?

Because whatever Congress, approved by whatever President, is the Mommie, and Mommie said so. See "Recoveries" in Pub 525 for the income side. There's no doubt publication coverage of accounting methods somewhere, but as Ira said, for a cash-basis taxpayer, you take the deduction in the year you paid or charged it.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us