The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What to do? Date:  2/2/2012  10:48 PM
Author:  Incomeonly Number:  70104 of 87994

"Contributing to an HSA absolutely *requires* that you have a qualified, HSA-eligible high deductible health insurance plan. No health insurance, no HSA contributions"

A personal HSA to which one may contribute pretax dollars (the objective of the OP) is, by definition, made of two components: a custodial HSA and a HDHP. This is by definition.

If one is already covered by a health plan from their employer or their spouses employer, as I'm sure the OP is, then they are not eligible to contribute to a personal HSA.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us