The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Married joint vs Married single Date:  2/5/2012  8:44 PM
Author:  legalwordwarrior Number:  114967 of 127613

What makes you think that filing a joint return will mean that any of "her" money will go to the delinquent child support? Preventing that is the whole point of injured spouse.

What she was told by an H&R Block preparer was that the injured spouse form is just an application to request that money she paid in would be returned to her (she didn't make enough this year to have to pay). The problem is that the AG generally will garnish the entire amount if there is any back child support owed. We're in TX. Our AG's office will garnish first and ask questions later.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us