The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Relationships / Divorce -- all about it

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/getting-stuck-with-her-cats-yep-random-29843148.aspx

Subject:  Re: getting "divorced" Date:  2/12/2012  10:57 AM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  2731 of 2746

...getting stuck with her cats...

Yep.

Random anecdotes:

When I was about 10, my parents finally gave in to my years of begging and got a dog. Of course, I'd promised I'd walk him. I didn't. They brought him to the pound.

Recently an acquaintance of mine agreed to take in her adult daughter's dog while the daughter's house was on the market. House sold, and daughter (with her husband and children) moved to an apartment that didn't take pets. Their plan was to eventually buy another house, but meanwhile they assumed the grandma would be just delighted to take care of the dog indefinitely. She wasn't, and brought him to the pound.

A woman who was quite devoted to her cats wouldn't date any men who didn't like them. Eventually she married a man who was allergic to cats, but didn't dislike them. After the wedding, when it was time to move in together (they'd lived hundreds of miles apart before the wedding), they discovered that he assumed the cats would be kept outdoors, and she assumed he'd just take antihistamines, and that both assumptions were incorrect. None of her friends or family were willing to take the cats, so on moving day she dropped them off at the pound.

Of course, pounds do offer animals for adoption (my DD got a "pound puppy"), and time limits before putting them to sleep vary. In addition, "no-kill shelters" exist, but not everywhere. Would be something for OP to look into, though, if interested.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us