The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Investing Software

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tracking-stock-options-and-cash-29855715.aspx

Subject:  Tracking stock, options, and cash Date:  2/17/2012  8:09 PM
Author:  ericwilhelm Number:  3648 of 3687

How do you track your holdings and cash, particularly cash from options?

I use Ameritrade, but track my holdings using Yahoo Finance. Yahoo Finance is great for tracking transactions and cash positions for equities, but not for options. There is a long-standing bug where the value of the option is correct in the positions view, but the increase or decrease in cash shown in the transaction is 100x too low. This leads to an incorrect cash balance in the position view. To be specific, a FXE111217P00134000 option is correctly valued at a few thousand dollars, but only "cost" a few tens of dollars (100x less) in the transaction view and thus only reduced my cash balance by that amount.

Yahoo is aware of the bug, and has no plans to correct it (I'm probably one of ten people that care!) I know I can manually adjust the cash balance, but this effectively removes the benefit of using the service over tracking everything manually in a spreadsheet.

What do you use to track your portfolios and cash? I'd prefer an online rather than desktop tool (I'd really like Yahoo Finance to fix their bug...).

I have positions from other "portfolios" in my brokerage, so can't just use the total from Ameritrade (unless there's a portfolio and cash tracking tool I haven't found).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us