The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-to-everyone-for-the-very-helpful-comments-29858065.aspx

Subject:  Re: Feeling lost, need advice! Date:  2/19/2012  12:19 PM
Author:  gogreengo Number:  70174 of 76106

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful comments! I very much appreciate them.

I am thinking that we need to do a little of everything: put some money back into the market with diverse asset allocation, keep some where it is in the commodities funds and stock (should do well if there's inflation?), and keep some "safe" so we can sleep well at night. We will have to determine the amounts on those. If we do a little of everything, then we can't kick ourselves for not doing this or that.

A couple of questions:

Why would ETFs be preferable to funds (ie the BND)? I am not very familiar with them, but it seems they are traded more like stocks, right? And that would mean more immediate pricing and ability to buy/sell?

What happened at Fidelity that required a complaint? Just curious.

Are CDs a viable option for "cash"? Or would short-term bonds be better, even though principle could be lost? Other thoughts?

What might be a wise upper limit on expenses for a mutual fund?

Should I look at YTD and maybe 1-year performance to find funds that will do well in a bull market?

I've got a lot of work to do! Thanks again!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us