The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charlie-im-trying-to-put-together-a-set-of-29879765.aspx

Subject:  Re: Revising Howard’s Scanning Rule Date:  2/29/2012  3:54 PM
Author:  howardgt Number:  33755 of 35380

Charlie,

I'm trying to put together a set of guidelines (not rules) for my daughter that aren't based merely on what seems to be working now, but point toward risk-management principles that apply to any asset-class, anytime. (Risk is risk, no matter where it is found).

I would say that in most times (recession troughs excluded), bonds under 50 offer similar risks as stocks under $1.00. I don’t touch penny stocks (anymore).

I try to keep exposures per position for such issuers under one-eighth of one percent of AUM

You have a great advantage there (especially for junk). I’m now trying to get my exposure down below 3% of my bond holdings. 1-2% would be even better, but that’s still a ways off.

Thanks for bringing up this subject. It motivated me to do a thorough analysis of my buy-prices vs default/return rates. I should’ve done this earlier.

Howard
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us