The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Portfolio Management

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/having-been-a-member-of-3-different-services-i-29900372.aspx

Subject:  Re: When do I sell stocks ? Date:  3/9/2012  2:52 PM
Author:  culcha Number:  6641 of 6743

Having been a member of 3 different services, I have accumulated a large assortment of suggested stocks. Approximately half of them are sufficiently in the red to put me several points below the S&P. I know that I get advice when to buy, is there advice on when or what to sell? What also concerns me is that most of the stocks in the red are showing as green on the S&P side! What am I doing wrong?

Well, I really don't know your own personal situation. All I know is that you've been a member of 3 different services and you've accumulated a large assortment of suggested stocks. From that, I'd say that you have been a member of 3 too many services and have bought suggested stocks, [i.e., bought on "stock tips"]. Maybe the thing to do is to focus on learning, reading, frequenting the free boards for insights from the many knowledgeable individuals who post here, etc.

Have you thought about the ideas of living below your means, getting rich slowly, studying master investors, avoiding "stock tips" and most of the ephemeral financial news media, etc.?

Many investors advise keeping a journal. Here you can keep track of your reasons for buying something. If things don't work out as you you anticipated, then you can see where the problem was: e.g., the company's market position was suddenly threatened by a competitor, the CFO was caught embezzling money, etc. Maybe you'll find that you have to do a better job assessing the competition, examining the management, etc. This way we learn by experience (but reading and studying can be a less costly and less painful way of learning!).

culcha
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us