The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Inheritance Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/credit-cards-also-who-is-the-primary-on-the-29909069.aspx

Subject:  Re: Will bequest vs. account beneficiary designa Date:  3/13/2012  9:55 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  5611 of 5741

Credit cards also.
Who is the primary on the credit cards? If it's always you, then there is a significant chance that she will be left with no credit cards and no way to get any because all the credit is in your name.

I've always made sure that DH has at least one card in his own name, and I have at least one card in my own name so that we each have our own credit history and credit score. I have an aunt and a cousin who were both widowed with young children, so I've seen first hand what things can look like if you don't have all your ducks in a row.

Simple wills are really inexpensive to have done by a lawyer. I'd pay the couple of hundred dollars to at least have them review what you have done to make sure that it works like you think it does in your state, and that you are not potentially leaving you or your wife with something different than you intend.

I get the part about not caring what happens if you both die together, but I'd want to be completely sure that my spouse was taken care of, and I would spend some money to ensure that.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us