The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

Subject:  Re: Roth investing/withdrawing at 60 Date:  3/15/2012  10:27 AM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  70356 of 78666

>> I tend to disagree <<

Couldn't tell. This is actually one of the most anti-Roth arguments I've ever heard, which surprises me. Yes, it's not always the best choice for people, but you make it sound like a borderline scam. Anyway, point by point:

>> You are correct about being able to withdraw all you want tax free. But if you bury gold in the backyard you can take out all you want tax free. The point here is the money you invest in the Roth was taxed before if went in -- so the only "saving" you have is for taxes on the net gains in your Roth. <<

So? Conventional IRAs and 401Ks are fully taxed when withdrawn, so the only "saving" is the added compounding from the tax deferral (which Roths also have, by the way). How does this make Roths worse?

>> #1 Roth's have value if the goal is to pass money the Roth owner will not need to the next generation without taxes. (But keep in mind estate taxes don't happen on over 90% of the estates.)

Otherwise they have no value? I know you didn't sway that but your language choice here makes that a logical inference. That's far from true.

No other value? Here's a hint that has a LOT of value for some: no RMDs.

>> #2 Assuming the Roth owner is going to use/spend the funds - than a Roth does not make sense unless the tax rate (that would be total tax rate, not marginal) at the time of withdraw is less than the tax rate when funds are placed in the Roth. i.e. If in retirement your tax rate is less than when working, it it doubtful you will pay less taxes in total and/or have equal purchasing power. <<

Of all your caveats and counterpoints, this is (to me) the only real compelling consideration. Yeah, if you know you're in a 28% bracket today and likely to be in the 15% at retirement (using current rates), a traditional IRA (if it's deduct