The Motley Fool Discussion Boards
Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition
|Subject: 6 Reasons - Never Retire||Date: 3/15/2012 11:16 AM|
|Author: PSUEngineer||Number: 41197 of 53536|
6 Reasons Why You Should Never Retire
1. There is no physical reason to retire.
2. Continued work can support healthy aging, including better physical and mental health.
I don't think my desk job does much for my better physical health.
3. Well-being and happiness are boosted when people are engaged in challenging and meaningful activities. Work is a major place to find such activities in our society.
I think I can find challenging and meaningful activities outside of work.
4. Older people have rich experience and mentoring skills to help enrich the workplace experiences of younger colleagues.
5. Declining numbers of younger workers, courtesy of lower fertility rates, will raise the need to retain older employees in the workforce.
6. We need and like the money, and shorter retirements sharply cut the risk we will outlive our assets.
I tend to be conservative in my estimates. I'll have a cushion but once that cushion is funded, I'm not staying for the money.
|Copyright 1996-2013 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us|