The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-nytimes-article-has-me-wondering-if-we-should-29915118.aspx

Subject:  Re: Military Vets Gitting Hosed? Date:  3/16/2012  1:18 PM
Author:  tjscott0 Number:  612182 of 757798

The NYTimes article has me wondering if we should return to the draft. And immediately pay the $ cost of war.

Yes a drafted military is a less effective military. Why would I propose a return to the draft?

1)Our society now has a very limited exposure to the human cost of war.
2)Our society has NO immediate $ cost of war as those costs are rolled onto the annual deficit spending.
3) Our professional military personnel have repeated exposure to combat-3 or 4 tours-resulting in physical & mental injuries. And after the repeated dehumanizing exposure to war, atrocities are more likely to occur. And worse how the repeated exposure to war affect our citizen/soldiers.
4)It is likely that senior military officers are screwing over some of our military personnel to keep costs down; especially as our country no longer afford perpetual war.

I suspect if the population had exposure to the $ & human cost of war. There would be less desire for military adventures.

And we owe our veterans for their service rather than weaseling out of our obligation via personality disorder discharges. Its amazing that these personality disorders weren't while they were in country; but are obvious versus a PSTD diagnosis would result in a $1 million future obligation to the troop.

One might say "Hey the recruit signed on the dotted line; no one twisted their arm." I think it unlikely that a 18-22 yr old has any realistic idea of military life or the risk they are taking on. So it is incumbent on our nation to choose wisely on what wars we engage in.

Our nation [politicians & citizens alike] has been much too eager to take on a war in which we have NO conception of the culture of the invaded country & how it will affect mission.

Well nothing will change. But I feel better for my rant.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us